8 – 14 November 2014 My post on Week 1 can be found HERE. Week 2 saw some useful progress some of it in unexpected areas. We are waiting for the official blessing ceremony to take place on Sunday 16 and until this happens nothing much can be done on the land. However that didn’t prevent the start of construction at the family home where all the steel is stored. Day 8 – Saturday, work on digging the bore continued. As I told you in last week’s post, the output from the first bore they dug wasn’t enough to provide non-stop water with the pump running continuously for three hours, which they classify as a “fail”. They then started to drill a new bore on the opposite side of the land using water from the first bore to provide the water needs of the second drilling operation. The good news for us is that after a while the first bore ran continuously for over three hours so we now have two fully operational bores. Drilling was finished by the evening and everyone agreed that it looked hopeful for a successful outcome when tested. This is determined by the quantity of water being consumed by the bore when its being dug. When you hit a water producing layer it absorbs the water being pushed down by the rig and “new” water has to be added constantly to the system, in our case from bore No. 1. This is the stage where we were running the submersible pump continuously in bore No. 1 for more than three hours to feed the second bore dig. More holes for the columns were dug, which I won’t show you again. Seen one hole and you’ve pretty well covered the topic. Back at the family home the first of the 13 column reinforcing frames had been started. Day 9 – Sunday, the bore dig finished the hole was cleaned out by pumping more water down and checking the resulting outflow for anything that might cause the submersible pump problems once installed. Once satisfied that the bore was clean the drilling rig was closed up and the truck moved off the land seven days after it arrived. The last step was to move the submersible pump from bore No. 1 to the new bore and run it for three hours. The end result looked like this: The guy charged me an extra 800 THB for the blue pipe that went in the top of the second bore to seal it from groundwater. The family was slightly upset as they felt this was a farang cost and he wouldn’t have done it for a Thai. However, I was totally happy with the end result and in a million plus plus baht project it didn’t seem too excessive! I ended up giving him an extra 1,000 THB, bringing the total cost for the drilling to 14,000 THB or A$490. We will end up buying a cheap submersible pump, which you can get for around 4,500 THB, for the first bore as a standby in case we have any problems with the pump on the second one. The reinforcing for the 13 columns was finished by the end of the day. Columns finished work started on the reinforcing for the base of the columns, which will be placed at the bottom of the holes. Ming, the builder, delivered the first of the concrete formwork timber to the site. Day 10 – Monday, Ming wanted to buy 50 bags of cement for the concrete they are going to mix by hand for the columns and the footing beams. By beams I mean the horizontal concrete beams that reinforce the slab in areas where it will be load bearing. This is a borrowed photo from another site to give you an idea of what I mean: Thanks for reading.
Building in Thailand eBook
When my wife and I bought some land in Isaan, which is a region in the north east of Thailand, and then started to build our house I started to record the daily events of construction life. For twenty six weeks I wrote a weekly blog update about all the aspects of the build and included as much detail as possible for others who might be thinking of going down the same path. I was surprised by the number of readers I attracted as a result of writing on this subject, many of whom followed the entire build from beginning to end.
Based on this continued interest I thought I would revisit my original words and bring them all together under the one heading in the form of an eBook. Included in this process has been some extensive updating and expansion of many of the original posts and the addition of the many COMMENTS, which are designed to expand your knowledge and save you time or money or both!
Read more HERE and find out how to obtain the eBook.
I am loving your book – just on my second read at the moment, to make sure that I didn’t miss anything first time around (which actually it turns out I did!).
Just a note of thanks at this point ……. I am a fairly methodical sort of bloke, but there are many issues which your book highlights which I just wouldn’t have thought about – or if I had, I may well have assumed they were “standard” building practice [U-bends, drain positioning, barge-board alignment] – if it hadn’t been for your excellent descriptions!! I will probably still “miss” something – that’s the nature of building/design – but thanks to you, it shouldn’t be anything too mission-critical.
The income from my eBook pays for the upkeep of this blog, which is otherwise commercially free unlike so many others.